Homesteading Residency, 2018 – 2021
We have selected our homesteading residents for a 3-year term starting from Spring 2018. Below is the original posting from the call for applicants. If you are interested in this opportunity for the future, please contact Executive Director, Zach Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) and keep an eye out for a new application posting.
Inian seeks a couple or two-person team with a time-tested, positive relationship for a homesteading residency of three (3) years. Living on-site year-round, the residents will be responsible for maintaining this off-grid, 5-acre property and all equipment in excellent condition, participating in collection of scientific data, hosting student groups, and advancing Inian’s mission. In return, the residents will be apprenticed to local experts in the homesteading arts including wide-ranging practical skills and subsistence, and will receive annual compensation of $35,000 plus room and board. Strong priority will be given to couples seeking to acquire the necessary skills and savings to create a self-sufficient life for themselves in Southeast Alaska, deeply connected to its fertile lands and waters.
Please note that because availability and start-dates of applicants are yet to be determined, we also welcome applicants for a short-term homesteading residency this summer, May – September 2018.
Residents will live on-site year-round, with one month annual vacation time (negotiable).
• Surveil and maintain all Institute properties in excellent condition, including buildings, equipment, dockage and boats, lawn and garden, and water, power, heat, and waste systems
• Operate machinery, equipment and boats as necessary for duties
• Work with and assist other staff with major maintenance and construction projects
• Communicate regularly with Inian’s director about programs and maintenance needs
• Assist staff as needed with Inian’s programs, including cooking and cleaning
• Assist in advancing Inian’s scientific goals, including journaling, data collection, and maintaining scientific hardware
Homesteading residents will receive annual compensation of $35,000, plus free lodging and a generous stipend for food, supplies, and travel to nearby communities.
For more information, please see the full text of the Announcement and Call for Applicants.