The Hobbit Hole is a 5-acre private inholding within U.S. Forest Service Wilderness land. It sits on a 35-acre protected harbor of the Inian Islands. There are 5 main structures: three houses, a workshop, and a 90′ dock for boats and float planes. All are in good sound condition.
Part of the original property purchased by the Howes in 1973, the main house is a beautiful 2-bedroom 2-bath structure with a large kitchen — 1600 square feet on two levels. The spacious “great room” style first floor would make a wonderful discussion area for teachers and students.
Built in 1995, Fred’s house is 990 square feet, plus a large covered deck added in 2008. We envision this structure housing on-site professors.
The other original structure on the property is 1000 square feet in 2 stories, with ample storage space. This building is readily convertible to basic laboratory space for students.
This lovely 700 square foot building was completed in 1984 as a ceramics studio, and more recent improvements, such as a large deck, kitchen corner, and additional sleeping space, make it a great option for housing students.
At 90′, the dock has accommodated Greg and Fred’s 38′ power trollers for years, as well as visiting kayaks and fishing boats. There is a shower on the dock with hot and cold running water that makes a welcome treat for oceangoing visitors. The dock also includes a float with a ramp for skiffs or float planes.